I was reading the ‘India e-Marketing Outlook 2012‘ report by Octane Reasearch and found the publication highly interesting. For those of you who are active bloggers, social media junkies and spend 18 hours daily online surfing; this update may NOT interest you. But for those of you who belong to Traditional Marketing backgrounds, working for brands in developing countries like India, the below facts that were seen in this report will be rather amusing…
- In a country where the online population is easily over 121 million and 76% of the population of close to 2 billion people own mobile phones, TRAI has limited the sms limit to 200 per day!
- The top two online trends witnessed in India are Email Marketing and Social Media
- Close to 16% of the research participants mentioned that more than 50% of their sales is generated from Email Marketing However majority of the companies are allocating less than 10% of their annual marketing budgets to e-Marketing initiatives.
- Yet only 35% of the marketers send out daily mails for various initiatives, while a startling 28% of respondents send mailers only Once a week!
- According to Industry Data India is rated is 3rd largest spam generator in the world.
- Thankfully close to 49% of respondents believe in Behavioral Targeting while using email marketing and 62% of them agree to the importance of Email Marketing and Social Media initiatives.
Considering India is the 3rd largest country with respect to the number of internet users (second to China and USA), the above findings show a delay in the process of Email Marketing occupying board room discussions and daily metrics that Marketeers should ideally be using to achieve their Marketing Goals.
Long way to go for India and Email Marketing!